Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages
Filter by Categories
latest news
Uncategorized

Tourism

TOURISM SECTOR

Muchinga province has a lot of tourist attractions in form of wildlife, natural and archeological sites as well as historic buildings.

South Luangwa National Park

It is believed that South Luangwa National Park is the greatest wildlife sanctuary in the world. The concentration of animals around the Luangwa River, and its oxbow lagoons, is among the most intense in Africa. The Luangwa River is the most intact major river system in Africa and is the life-blood of this 9059 km2 Park. The Park hosts a wide variety of wildlife, birds and vegetation. There are 60 different animal species and over 400 different bird species in South Luangwa National Park. The only notable exception is the rhino, sadly poached to extinction. Some of the prominent animals include the elephant, leopard, giraffe, lion and different types of antelopes. The now famous ‘walking safari’ originated in this Park and is still one of the finest ways to experience Africa’s pristine wilderness first-hand. The changing seasons add to the Park’s richness, ranging from; dry, bare bush veld in the winter, to a lush, green wonderland in the summer months.

Shiwang’andu District also run a world class private game reserve which is home to over 30 exotic species of animals and 200 species of birds and large lake called Shiwang’andu.

Shiwang’andu has its own airstrip making it easy to reached via charter flights from Mfuwe, Ndola, Lusaka

                          

North Luangwa National Park

North Luangwa National Park lies in the northern part of the South Luangwa National Park. It was founded as a game reserve in 1938, it became a national park in 1972 and now covers 4,636 km².

Like the South Luangwa National Park, its eastern boundary is the Luangwa River, while it rises to cover a stretch of the Muchinga Escarpment to the west. The Mwaleshi River flows east-west through the centre of the park, the area to its south being a strict wilderness zone.

Wildlife is widely found, including elephant, wildebeest, zebra and many antelopes and birds.

 

Lavushimanda National Park

This park is potentially interesting for its hilly and very pleasant landscape, though sadly it has lost its animals to poaching over the last few decades. Game scouts however, report that there are still populations of game left. The park is currently being rehabilitated by the Kasanka Trust, working as part of a donor-funded development project. Lavushimanda covers 1,500km2 including the Lavushimanda Hills. To the north the land slopes away, and the park’s streams all drain into the Lulimala, Lukulu or Lumbatwa Rivers and ultimately into the Bangweulu Basin. Miombo woodland covers most of the park, with some areas of riparian forest nearer the larger streams and many grassy dambos.

Mutinondo Wilderness 

This is one of the most stunning places in Muchinga province Mutinondo is a beautiful 10,000-hectare wilderness littered with whaleback hills; huge sweeping hulks of stone in varying shades of black, purple, green and brown. The landscape here feels unspoiled and ancient. Scramble to the top of one of those great granite beasts and it is easy to imagine a time when Stone Age hunters wandered the endless valleys, woodland and rivers below. Mammal sightings are not very common, although there are plenty of tree squirrels, klipspringers and other antelopes lurking around. Mutinondo is an important birding destination and there are about 320 species here including plenty of rare specimens that are difficult to find outside the country. Notable are the Ross’s turaco, Ancheta’s sunbird and the bar-winged weaver.

The Bangweulu Wetlands

The Bangweulu wetland is a place of high biodiversity endemism and thus renowned for being a haven for thousands of avian and ungulate species, especially in the rainy season when the Chambeshi/Luapula river system bursts its banks to form a massive flood plain. What is spectacular about this wetland is that it is home to one of the rarest and elusive birds in Africa, the Shoebill stork, Balaeniceps rex

The Shoebill Stork, a bird that is probably closer to the extinct Dodo than any living new world avian species today, is common sight from January to April when the plains are flooded. This “living fossil” migrates between Muchinga, Luapula and Northern Provinces depending on the time of the year. Also unique to the floodplains of the Bangweulu is the water loving Black Lechwe (Kobus lechwe, smithemani). It has a distinctive black portion on its side and this clearly distinguishes it from the Lechwe of the Kafue Flats. The Bangweulu wetland is also a Ramsar site (Wetland of International Importance).

WATER FALLS

Chipoma falls is located in Chinsali district of Muchinga Province. It is reached by turning west off the Great North road about 26 Km south of Chinsali turn-off at Chimbele. The Chinamabubwe River flows through an attractive series of rapids and cascades averaging about 5 meters each forming a total drop of over 40 meters.

The site is of splendid natural beauty. Apart from the natural significance, the Chipoma Falls area is of archaeological importance as it has numerous Iron Age Kilns dotted around the site.

Chusa Falls, the area for the mini hydro project is located in Shiwang’andu District on Mansha River in Kankolo Village of Headman Daniel Chanda and Chief Mukwikile. The site can be reached by turning westerly at Kalalantekwe village on the Great North Road, following the Shiwang’andu Estates Road. The Chusa Falls is a series of cascades and rapids situated about 11Km from Shiwang’andu Kapisha Hot springs area in Shiwang’andu district.

The Namundela Falls are located only about 5km from Joseph Bwalya’s (Shi Eliot) settlement. It is found on the downstream of Chusa falls. The falls are bisected in the middle by resistant quartzite into two sections, forming the main of the three cataracts. The main falls has a drop of about 8-10m. However, the total drop including the lower cataracts is about 15m. The main falls are about 30-35m across, the sides of which are made up steep rock surfaces reaching the edge of the falls. These are as high as 20-30m and probably higher.

Nansala falls in Isoka district is located in Milongo ward east of Isoka. It has three stages of water falls. Nansala falls is a historical and tourist site. The falls was used to propel hammer mill, to the benefit of the community that wanted to make mealie meal.

Kapishya Hot Springs

About fifteen (15) km west of Shiwa Ng’andu is Kapishya, an exquisite natural hot spring surrounded by lush tropical vegetation and tall raffia palms. The hot water bubbles out from the white sands of a crystal clear pool and flows into the Manshya River.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lake boat trips

Shiwang’andu Lake Boat Trip which is a full or half day boat trip on rubber rafts, cruising around the lake, birdwatching and taking in the spectacular sunrise or sunset are offered here to visitors. The full day trip takes guests from the lake down the Manshya river over some small rapids and back to Kapishya camp. Fishing trips are also available on lake

Nachipala Bareback Hill

Nachipala bareback hill which is 3 hours walk to the summit gives a magnificent view of lake Shiwang’andu. Dr. David Livingstone took his bearing from here in 1867, Nachipala hill is always a challenge for the most ardent walkers wanting to take in David Livingstone memorial

Historical Site and Buildings

Muchinga province possesses numerous historic outposts, buildings and ruins. This can be attributed to the fact that, largely the province was ‘home’ to many colonial mineral prospectors (BSA Co.) political administrators, empire builders and messengers of Christianity, the missionaries, especially in the last half of the 19th century. Most profound and uniquely built historic structures are the mission settlements and churches, most of which are operational today. Some of these include:

Lubwa Mission

Declared under Statutory Instrument 121 of 1976, Lubwa Mission is situated in Chinsali District. Lubwa Mission is home and birth place of Zambia’s first Republican President;

Dr. Kenneth Kaunda. The mission is also the first church station for present day United Church of Zambia. A few meters from the original church is a burial ground for Kaunda’s parents, relatives and a few freedom fighters. This brick house at Lubwa was occupied from 1945 by the first President of the Republic of Zambia, Dr. Kenneth David Kaunda, while he was headmaster of Lubwa Upper Primary School.

Shiwa Ng’andu House

In 1911, a young British Officer, Stewart Gore-Brown, was appointed to the Anglo Belgian Boundary Commission to determine the border between Northern Rhodesia and the Belgian Congo. He developed a great fondness for the surrounding countryside and determined that when his work was finished he would return and settle in this part of Africa. He was back in 1914 and set off on foot from Ndola on the Copper belt with 30 carriers looking for a piece of land to buy. Gore-Brown purchased 10 000 acres of land near the lake and called it “Ichishiba”

The First World War necessitated a return to England but six years later he returned as a retired Lieutenant Colonel and set about building the estate with an army building manual. Using local materials, recruiting and training builders, carpenters and blacksmiths, he built cottages for his workers, a school, a chapel, a hospital, a post office, a workshop complex and later an airstrip. Eventually, the elaborate manor house, overlooking the Lake was completed in 1932 and the appropriate furnishings, paintings, cutlery and crockery was shipped from England.

Old Fife

Located about 2 km to the East of Nakonde District along Nakonde – Kanyala road is a small place known as old fife.  Old Fife is a historic place established in 1895 when it served as a boma under the British colony.  It was originally known as Ikawa.  The British renamed it as Old Fife reminiscent of a Scottish District on the East Cost of the North Sea. Here, the British and the German fought during the World War 1 (WW1) and many casualties were buried in mass graves. The prominent grave is that of Major Heinrich Von Berg a German Commander, who was put to rest on 1st January 1918. Old Fife was also a Military Training Camp and to date still has war trenches, ammunition cartridges etc.

Lenshina Burial Place

Alice Lenshina was a Christian religious leader who founded the Lumpa Church in Chinsali district. Chinsali district was a battleground for two Christian missions between 1905 to 1934 namely the Roman Catholic Missionaries based at Ilondola and the United Free Church of Scotland, based at Lubwa. One of the missionaries at Lubwa was David Kaunda, the father of Kenneth Kaunda (who was to become the first president of Zambia).

Lenshina became very ill with cerebral malaria in September 1953 and fell into a deep coma. She eventually regained consciousness and claimed to have met Jesus Christ during her coma. She said he had given her the task of spreading a special message and she became the focus of a revival movement at Lubwa mission, where she was baptized. Lenshina preached a Christian doctrine with baptism as the only observance. She attacked witchcraft and sorcery, and condemned the consumption of alcohol and the practice of polygamy.

A grand temple was built in 1958. Gradually the revival became a witchcraft eradication movement and evolved into an independent church called the Lumpa Church in 1955. The new church rapidly joined the competition for souls against the Roman Catholic Church and the Church of Scotland. Lenshina was so successful that by the late 1950s her church may have had up to 150,000 members in the northern and eastern provinces of Northern Rhodesia. The church’s drive for membership was so aggressive that it was seen as a political threat by the colonial Northern Rhodesia government. The conflict between the United National Independence Party (UNIP) and the Lumpa Church reached a climax in July to October in 1964, just before Northern Rhodesia’s independence.

On July 24, 1964 a gun battle broke out between UNIP and Lumpa Church members. The resulting riots were only quelled by the intervention of State troops, and the proclamation of a state of emergency by the new pre-independence Prime Minister, Kenneth Kaunda. About a thousand people died in the clashes between Lumpa Church adherents, UNIP’s members and the security forces. Approximately 15,000 Lumpa Church members fled and took refuge in Congo; some of them never returned to Zambia. The Lumpa Church was banned on 3 August 1964 and Lenshina surrendered to police a few days later.

Lenshina never faced a trial but was detained by Kenneth Kaunda in Mumbwa district with her husband, who later died in 1972.  Alice Lenshina was later released from detention in December 1975 but was put under house arrest in Lusaka’s New Chilenje compound. She died on 7 December 1978 while under house arrest and was eventually buried at Kasomo village in a concrete structure.  

Mwenzo Mission

Mwenzo Mission station is located in Nakonde District and is the Pioneer Mission for the United Church of Zambia in the Province.  The station was established in 1898 by Rev. James Alexander Chrisholm of the Free Church of Scotland FCS).  The Mission is at the confluence of Nakonde and Kalulu rivers.  At Mwenzo the first Post Office building in Zambia was built in 1900. A doctor’s house was built in 1909 and a church was later built in 1914 and other historic structures. This site is rich with history and architectural beauty.

Zwangendaba’s Grave

The history of Central Africa was to an extent affected by that of South Africa, especially during the reign of Shaka the Zulu in the 19th Century. The ravaging wars of Shaka, commonly referred to as Mfecane caused mass migration of weaker tribes and communities in search of peace. Among the people that ran away from Shaka were Zwangendaba and his Ngoni people.  In 1831, he crossed into Zambia at Zumbo and went into fipaland (present Tanzania). However, due to fierce wars he turned with his people into Zambia again and died in 1848.  He was, according to tradition buried in Nakonde District on the Nakonde-Mbala Road, about 1 km south of Nachipeta School.The site is an important historical resource for research education and tourism.

Nachikufu Cave

Nachikufu Cave is a pre-historic archaeological site located about 80 kilometers from Mpika towards Serenje District and less than half a Km to the west, off the Great North road. An area of covering 2.590 square kilometers having approximately latitude 12 degrees 15 minutes south and longitude 31 degrees 10 minutes east. The site was used by the Bisa and the Lala during the Bemba and Ngoni raids in precolonial era as a hide-out. It also consists of valuable archaeological and scientific information that dates to about 15,000 years ago.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Districts Possible Areas of Invetsment Available

Opportunities

Possible Challenges
. Chama

•  Mpika

•  Chinsali

•     Establishment of lodges and hotels

•    Establishment of Conference  facilities

•     Establishment of camping sites and safari chalets to ensure a feel of the wild

•     Establishment of Standard Eating places

•     Establishment of Travel and Tour Companies

•     Promotion of community partnership parks

•     Promotion of private game ranches

•    Low levels of competition in this sector

•    Low investment costs

•    Abundant sites for investments

•    Availability of resort sites especially in

protected areas

 

•   Poor telecommunication Communication in national parks

•   Human wildlife conflict

•   Limited participation of local people in the sector

•   High levels of illegal activities such as poaching

•   Lack of awareness of the benefits of tourism especially among local people

•   Inaccessible  tourist areas especially national parks due to poor road network