General Physical Characteristics
Land Area– 5,513 Sq. Km. It is in the North Eastern part of the Province and lies between 32°10′ and 33°02′ east of the Greenwich Meridian, and 9°04′ and 9°49′ south of the Equator. The District shares international boundaries with Tanzania in the north and Malawi in the East. It is approximately 1015 Kilometres from the Zambian Capital, Lusaka.
Total Population Size – The total population is 117,099, the Population Density – The Population density is 25.9 people/sq. km and Population Growth – The current population growth is 4.8%
Communication and Power –
- Hydroelectric power is extended to administrative centre only,
- Zamtel land phone available, MTN,
- Airtel and Zamtel Mobile Telecommunication coverage available,
- Postal service available.
- The district has an air strip for medium airplanes,
- Great North Road passes through the district and the district is the point of exit to East Africa through Tunduma, Tanzania.
7 rural health centers, 1 urban Health center, 4 health posts and 1.one district level-1 hospital
51 Regular schools, 5 community schools, one sub-centre for continuing education.
Banks in Nakonde Town
The town does have banks such as Barclays Bank, Zanaco and Atlasmara.
Lodges and Guesthouses in Nakonde
Izukanji Lodge in Nakonde
Nakonde has several Lodges. Among the one’s you will find are Muchinga Exquisite Lodge, Izukanji Lodge, Oby’s Guest House, Nkumbi Guest House, Twiza Lodge, North Point, Zangendaba Lodge, Lwambazi Guest House, Nantiwapa Guest House, Wana Lodge, Niza Guest House, Mapenzi Guest House, Mwetwa Guest House
- Zwangendaba’s Grave
It is located along the Nakonde-Mbala road in Nakonde district of Muchinga Province. A place where King of the Ngoni was buried about 30kilometres away from the main town centre.
- Old fife
Located about 2 km to the East of Nakonde District on Nakonde – Kanyala road is a small place known as old fife. Old Fife is a historic place established in 1895 when it served as a Boma under the British colony. It was originally known as Ikawa. The British renamed it as Old Fife reminiscent of a Scottish District on the East Cost of the North Sea.
Here, the British and the German fought during the World War 1 (WW1) and many casualties were buried in mass graves.
The prominent grave is that of Major Heinrich Von Berg who was put to rest on 1st January 1918. The Major might have been a German Commander in Tanganyika East Germany. Old Fife was a Military Training Camp with war trenches, ammunition cartridges etc.