Mpika is a town in Muchinga Province of Zambia, lying at the junction of the Great North Road to Kasama and Mbala and the Tanzam Highway to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. It also has a railway station on the TAZARA Railway about 5km away. The District is situated between the Muchinga Escarpment to the east and vast Miombo plains to the west.Mpika was the largest district in Zambia until recently when two other districts, Lavushi Manda and Kanchibiya were created.
The highlights below are for Mpika before the creation of the new districts.
General Physical Characteristics
- Land Area before new districts was 40,935Sq. Km.
- It lies between 11 degrees 50 seconds South and 21 degrees East
- It also has got savanna type of grass and woodlands.
The District had a population density of 5.1 inhabitants per square km. According to the 2010 Census of Population and Housing, the district had a population of 191,329 people with an annual population growth rate of 3.4 Percent.
Communication and Power –
- Hydroelectric power is extended to administrative centre only,
- Zamtel land phone available, MTN,
- Airtel and Zamtel Mobile Telecommunication coverage available,
- Postal service available.
- The district has an air strip for medium airplanes,
- Great North Road passes through the district and is in steady state of repair. Several bus operators offer coach services in all directions. In 2007, an extension of Malawi Railways from Mchinji and Chipata to mpika was proposed, with a junction linking with TAZARA Railway.
- The district is being linked to Eastern province through the upgrading of Mpika – Nabwalya – Mfuwe roads to bituminous standard.
- 1 level 2 hospital,
- 1 level 1 hospital,
- 3 urban health Centers,
- 19 rural health centers and
- 8 Health Posts.
- Total of 32 health facilities
- 17 Community schools,
- 35 Middle basic Schools,
- 8 Upper Basic Schools and 1 high school.
- 3 Nursery schools have also been introduced.